Word of the Week (WOW) is a weekly meme created by Heena Rathore P. It’s a fun way to improve vocabulary by learning new words every week.
To participate, simply do a post with your word and leave the link to it as a comment on Heena’s WOW post.
Here is my WOW for this week:
Part of Speech: Adjective
(Adverb: ethereally. Noun: ethereality; etherealness)
Pronunciation: e – the – re -al (ih – theer – ee – uh – l)
1. Extremely light or delicate, especially in an unnatural way; refined
2. Of the celestial spheres; heavenly
3. Relating to, containing, or resembling a chemical ether
1. ghostly, vaporous, wraithlike, waiflike, bodiless, fragile, frail, intangible, immaterial, incorporeal, diaphonous, non-physical
2. spiritual, sublime, divine, holy, Elysian, unearthly, otherworldly
Substantial, earthly, worldy, corporeal, concrete, tangible, material
First documented use in English 1505-15 > Latin aethere (us) > Greek aithérios
Use in a sentence:
1. Sarah gazed at the ethereal wings of a dragonfly.
2. Beyond the stars is the ethereal realm of the divine. (As in fantasy, mythology etc.)
3. Deborah was small, fair and ethereal.
4. The stained-glass windows gave the church an ethereal glow
Note. This word is not to be confused with ephemeral, which means transitory or short- lived – like a mayfly. I like both words and the ways in which they can be used.
If you would like to check out more interesting words then visit Heena’s page: