Word of the Week (WOW) – Jardinere

wow

Word of the Week (WOW) is a weekly challenge created by Heena Rathore P. It’s a fun way to improve vocabulary by learning new words every week.

To participate, simply do a post with your word and leave the link as a comment on Heena’s WOW post for this week (above link). It’s a nice post to do and will give you some practice with a dictionary, of which there are several online. Illustrations are by no means necessary, but it’s up to you.

Here is my WOW for this week:

jardiniere Word:  jardinière

Pronunciation:  jahr-dn-eer  [zhahr-dn-yair] [ʒɑːdɪˈnjɛə]

Part of Speech:

Noun

Meaning:

1. a.  an ornamental stand for plants or flowers

b.  a large usually ceramic flowerpot holder

shutterstock_258419831

2. a garnish of fresh vegetables, cooked, diced, and served around a dish of meat

[Click here for illustrations of jardinière of vegetables]

Synonyms:

Plant pot, flower pot, plant holder, planter, pot

Antonyms:

None

Word Origin:  1835-45 < French, feminine of jardinièr gardener, equivalent to Old French jardin -garden + ier

Use in a sentence:

1. On the low wall along the driveway to the Old Hall, stood a number of impressive jardinières.

shutterstock_87661312

2. While we were at the garden centre, I bought an amusing watermelon jardinière.

shutterstock_256489819

If you’d like to check out more interesting words then visit Heena’s page:

Word Treasure

This entry was posted in Word of the Week (WOW) and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Word of the Week (WOW) – Jardinere

1. Creatopath says:

What an interesting word. Never heard of it. Great to learn something new. It sounds quite posh!

I agree, Rachel. The word does sound posh, and in the past jardinières were generally only found in big, posh houses and gardens. They were very popular in Victorian houses where they would display an aspidistra, often in a large hallway. Thank you for the nice comment! 🙂

2. scrapydotwo says:

Your first photo perfectly explains the word. Interesting word and meaning.

Those ceramic flower pots have made the word ‘jardiniere’ crystal clear. It’s a good word. Thanks for sharing, Millie. 🙂

I’m glad you liked the word, Norma. I was worried it might be seen as too ordinary, but it seems to have worked quite well. Thank you for reading my post! 🙂

4. I have never heard of such a word before. The jardinière in the first pic looked so cute and funny 😉 I’m sure you had a lot of fun finding pictures for this particular word 😉 Thank you Millie! ❤

5. jesh stg says:

Easy to guess if you know a little French:) The first jardiniere you showed is humorous, and the watermelony one is cute!

Yes, it is a very French word, although I’ve been surprised at how many people hadn’t heard of it. I suppose it is a rather dated word now. But that suits me because I’m extremely dated myself! 🙂 Thank you for the lovely comment.

6. I love this word. I remember it when living in HongKong in 1986 and later when taking French classes. I love how you express and explain it so well. Oh and I love that picture of a singing or screaming pot – so outrageous, :). Thank you Millie.

Is there anywhere you haven’t lived, Joycelin? I’m always amazed when you mention somewhere else! Anyway, I like that pic too, although I can’t tell whether it’s a singing or screaming mouth, either. I’d love to find one like it. It would make a good talking point at a get together! 🙂

7. A really unique word! I’m gonna use it somewhere in my posts for sure 🙂