Salesman’s Talk – Friday Fictioneers

Friday Fictioneers is a flash fiction challenge which asks that we write a story in no more than 100 words from the photo prompt kindly provided by the host, Rochelle Wisoff Fields. To join in with the challenge, or find out more about it, just follow the link on the challenge title above.

Here is this week’s prompt . . .

Copyright: Lauren Moscato

Copyright: Lauren Moscato

and this is my story . . .

The greasy owner from the off-licence below gestured round the dingy flat. ‘Bargain at fifty quid a week: nice and compact. Good-sized bedroom too … for a lad your age,’ he added, winking.

I wasn’t convinced, but needed my own pad; my parents were driving me insane.

‘Meter for lecky and gas … fully furnished,’ he enthused, as I stared at the boarded-up door.

‘Ah, we don’t use that door. Last tenant fell right out. Drunken fool killed himself. His ghost pops round occasionally.’

I smiled at his silly grin. The idea of ghost-hunting parties and séances clinched the deal.

If you’d like to read other entries, click on the little blue fellow below:

This entry was posted in Flash Fiction and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Salesman’s Talk – Friday Fictioneers

1. John Yeo says:

Wonderful ending Millie! Contact with the other side will always be a good selling point 🙂

2. There’s always a selling point for someone…. Wonderful take on the prompt.

3. Wonderfully done. Nice ending. Poor ghost is likely still looking for the stairs.

It will be easy for the tenants to guess so far as the ghost knocks at the door from where he fell. 😉

5. Francesca Smith says:

I think he might be in for a shock if an actual ghost were to appear.
    Great story, and a funny ending!

6. I loved this Millie. The ending was perfect. It was such a cute story!

7. Sonya says:

I’ve witnessed quite a few landlords trying to pass off awful flats as a bargain like that (I’m so glad I don’t have to go flat-hunting anymore)… If one of them had offered me a resident ghost, I might have been tempted. Great story – it’s so realistic, until the ghost 🙂

8. ahtdoucette says:

See? There’s always a bright side. Too funny!

9. plaridel says:

i liked the positive ending. well done. 🙂

10. Woot woot! Anything for a party! 😉

It’s the perfect student pad! Resident ghost, off licence downstairs – you could put money and a note in a basket, lower it down and get beer sent up. Party on 🙂

12. Sandra says:

Truly a unique selling point. Wouldn’t sell it to me, but we’re all different. Nice light story!

No, it wouldn’t appeal to me either – but then, I’m at least a century older than this lad! Thank you, Sandra. I was aiming for ‘light’ this week.

13. Jan Brown says:

I like this kid! Rather than being scared away by a potential haunting, he plans to build it in to his social life. Great fun. And a great take on the photo prompt!

Thank you, Jan! I’m so happy that you liked it and found it fun. I’ve done some quite cheerless ones lately. In fact, the first one I wrote for this prompt was downright depressing. 🙂

14. Nan Falkner says:

Dear Millie, Great story and I like the idea that he really wants to get his own place – even if the ghost pops in every once in a while – and the “greasy” owner is a great plus! Good job! Nan 🙂

15. hahaha This kid rocks!!! He had no fear at all. I would hide myself somewhere in the corner if I were him lol 😛 Perfect happy ending to end this funny story! Good one Millie! ;_)

16. Creatopath says:

Funny ending! I wouldn’t want to leave in a haunted place.

17. adamjasonp says:

I’d imagine the dead guy scaring people away. Eventually, I say…eventually it will fall flat on its face…like the dead bloke. 😉

18. The ghost who walks. great ending.

19. Liz Young says:

Good story – the ghost would appeal to me too!
    ‘Lecky’. I only learned that slang word when we moved here and made Scouse friends!

Thank you, Liz. You’re right about ‘lecky’. It is used a lot around Liverpool. I’d never heard the term until our eldest daughter went to Liverpool University in the early 90s. (We all live near Lincoln.) She used the word when she went into ‘digs’ (student accomodation not in the university). At the time I just thought she was abbreviating ‘electric’. But, Scouse it is! Thank you for sharing that. 🙂

20. Amy Reese says:

This place has a lot of character, that’s for sure, Millie. She played the right card for this lad and it definitely looks like just the place ghosts would hang out. Fun story!

21. That explains the bargain price! Nice story

22. Dear Millie,

I loved the tone of this. A bargain at any price and just plain fun.

Shalom,

Rochelle

23. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Millie,

You might be on to something. My next house will have one of those doorways in the hopes that eventually I will have a poltergeist or three to entertain me.

Aloha,

Doug

Now, I’ve heard that poltergeists are the best kind of ghosts to have at a party -even when you’re the only guest. They really get into the swing of things. Haha! Thank you for sharing that, Doug. Visualising the scene gave me a chuckle. 🙂

24. And so he opened up a seance business …
    Randy

A great Idea. I’ll suggest that to the young lad in question – although he’s probably already thought of it himself. Thank you for that, Randy! 🙂

25. Great fun. He’s found the perfect flat, and for a good rental by the sound of it. Most enjoyable.

26. Susan Langer says:

Another ghost hunter. Good story.

27. Great ending, Millie. At least the door was boarded up. Well done. 🙂 — Suzanne