Word of the Week (WOW) is a weekly challenge created by Heena Rathore P. It’s a fun way to improve vocabulary by learning new words every week.
To participate, simply do a post with your word and leave the link as a comment on Heena’s WOW post for this week (above link).
I’ve now been through the alphabet once, so I’m starting again with the letter A.
So, here is my WOW for this week:
- Self-confidence or assurance, especially when in a demanding situation:
2. The perpendicular or vertical position:
Audio: aplomb (Quite a difference between the UK aand US pronunciations with this one.)
Part of Speech:
the à l the
equanamity, calmness, collectedness, composedness, composure, cool, coolness, countenance, equilibrium, imperturbability, placidity, repose, sangfroid, self-composedness, serenity, tranquility, tranquilness
agitation, discomposure, perturbation, confusion, doubt, uncertainty.
Use in a Sentence:
- Susan passed her driving test with her usual aplomb:
2. The famous artist showed aplomb when surrounded by so many reporters:
(Artist Florentijn Hofman surrounded by reporters. Shutterstock photo.)
3. The word aplomb comes from the use of a ‘plumb-line’ (with a metal weight, or ‘plumb-bob’, suspended at the end of it) to determine the verticality or depth of a building undergoing construction:
If you’d like to view more interesting wods, visit Heena’s