Blog Award Time (2): The Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award

sisterhood-award

I was nominated for this award by a great blogger, a lady from Texas who writes books and short stories under the pen name of L.T. Garvin – which is also the name of her blog. If you enjoy reading witty and humorous stories and poems, I recommend you take a look at this blog. L.T. has two published books: Dancing With the Sandman –available on Amazon, and a children’s book, Confessions of a 4th Grade Athlete – available from Crystal Publishing LLC. I suggest you check out this page on Lana’s blog to have a look at both of these.  Lana also writes short stories and has recently had a short, non-fiction piece selected for publication in the Texas Writers Journal Quarterly. You can check this out here on her blog. Thank you so much for the nomination, L.T.

Now down to business . . .

The Rules:

shutterstock_140966836

1. Say ‘Thank You’ to the person who nominated you and link their blog to your post. Done
  2. Answer the 10 questions given to you.
  3. Pass the award on to 7 other bloggers and let them know they have been nominated.
  4. Include the Award Badge in your post. Done

The Questions:

I’ve used the questions that L.T. answered herself – as I wasn’t given different ones – and have decided to pass them on again.  So my nominees can use either these questions or write ten new ones for their own nominees to answer.

question-mark-213671_1280

1. What made you want to start your blog?

blog-327070_1920

I had no idea what a blog was until several months after finishing Book 1 of my trilogy. (Nor did I know what Facebook, Twitter, LinkdIn – or any other form of social media was all about). It was after various people suggested that, as an author, I should set up a blog that I eventually decided to have a go. And even then the process was a farce. I opened the WP account in May 2014, and did nothing with it until the end of July. It was only when my daughter, Louise, got her blog up and running that I was shamed into starting mine. I also started on Twitter a little while months ago, but have only very recently attempted to make a few tweets (mostly my blog posts, but I can probably start to widen things out a bit now).

twitter (2)

I would welcome with open arms anyone who would care to take the risk and follow me.

2. What have you wanted to do on your blog but haven’t yet?

Several months ago now, I discussed with the lovely Amanda (Forestwoodfolkart) on her blog, Something to Ponder About, about (me) starting a weekly post involving British sayings and their origins. This idea was a result of my enjoyment of Amanda’s Thursday posts, Proverbial Thursday, on which she presents quotes and proverbs for her readers to interpret and discuss. I love this post, and I mentioned I’d like to do something similar with the many, odd British sayings, and Amanda graciously said she would link her post to my page! How amazing and kind is that! Well, needless to say, I haven’s started it yet, but intend to do so sometime during this year.

3. Name one item your bucket list – or more if you like.

Bucket (2)

Other than travelling to see as much of the world as possible, I really don’t have a bucket list. Naturally, I want to finish my trilogy, and write other books I have in mind, but travel is top of my (non-existent) list. And now, after connecting with some wonderful people on WP, we have plans to ‘meet up’  at some stage. I won’t name them here and embarrass them, but I really would like to say ‘Hello’ in person to these blogging friends.

4. What is your biggest fear?Planet Earth (2)

I have no real personal fear other than sharks, as mentioned in other award posts. I do fear wars – the needless bloodshed and loss of life – and dread seeing the news about what is happening around the world. Like so many of us, I long for a time when the human race can live together in peace and harmony, and have tolerance and understanding for each other’s beliefs and customs. I’m also greatly concerned about what we are doing to this planet that sustains us all. I won’t go into detail about the depletion of natural resources, or the effects of climate change and species extinctions, but I’m sure you’ll all know what I’m saying. What kind of world are we leaving for future generations? We’re becoming a species whose motto seems to be, ‘I’m All Right Jack’.

5. What is/was your best moment in life?

I’ve had six ‘best moments’ in my life, which all happened between 43 and 32 years ago. The names of these moments are Nicola, Richard, Neil, Louise, Thomas and Christopher – in order of age.

6. Have you made any New Year resolutions this year? If so, name one. If not, why don’t you like them?

Yes, my main resolution is to get two more books finished – the third book of my Sons of Kings trilogy . . .

shutterstock_145907300

. . .  and a book of short stories. These aren’t really resolutions, more determined aims. Fortunately I don’t need to lose weight or give up anything harmful to life and limb.

7. If you could host a challenge on your blog, what kind would it be?

As I love writing stories, I can only think of some kind of writing challenge – probably short stories from a given prompt – but there are already a lot of those around. So I’d have to think hard about this one and try to make it different to the others in some way. I’d also like to do my own version of a Word of the Week challenge, involving something a little different to the one I participate in now. I really enjoy investigating the meanings and origins of interesting words- and writing little stories to illustrate them.

shutterstock_173825789

8. What was the name of your first pet? What do you remember the most about them?

mouse-303588_640

My very first pets were several mice – six of them – when I was five. Some were white and two were black and white. I never gave them names, probably because I didn’t have them long enough to do so. Somehow they all got out of the cage, (probably because I left the cage open) and ended up infesting the neighbourhood due to their rampant breeding. I don’t remember how the freedom of these mice ended, but I do remember lots of neighbours coming round looking (and sounding) anything but pleased! We also had an old, bad-tempered, rough-haired terrier called Rover at this time, but he was my mum’s. He bit one of my friends once – resulting in another very displeased neighbour. The escapee mice were all mine – and I was very upset that they didn’t like me enough to stay with me.

9. Do you ever go to a high school/old school reunion? Was it fun or not?

No, I’ve never been to this kind of reunion. I don’t think they’re as popular in the UK as they are in the US, but some reunions do take place.  One group of students that Nick and I both taught in Wantage in the mid 1970s, have met up every ten years since they left school. We were both invited to their last one (and we went along!) and were very touched by the gesture.

10. Do you have a pet peeve?

I’m afraid I have to mimic L.T’s answer for this one. I can’t stand people who are rude, arrogant and loud-mouthed; in other words, people who are totally obnoxious to others.   Good manners are all that I ask, and tolerance to others, no matter what their opinions and /or beliefs.

Now for my nominees:

smiley-821993_1280

This is the third time I’ve done the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award, the second time for this particular logo – and that was only a few weeks before Christmas. So I’m having difficulty in finding people to nominate, especially as this award is aimed only at women bloggers. On top of that, so many blogs are now ‘Award Free’.

Although I wouldn’t normally do this, I’m just going to throw this award open to anyone who would like it. I love all my followers out there and would be delighted if some of you accepted this one.

***

Since writing this, I’ve decided to go ahead and nominate at least one person whose blog I think well derserves this award:

Parul, on her cookery blog, Gharkepawan, is someone I’ve followed for a little while now. Her blog is aimed at presenting ‘healthy and nutritious vegetarian’ recipes, which I have found very useful for trying out on my vegetarian husband!

This entry was posted in Blog Award and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

79 Responses to Blog Award Time (2): The Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award

1. Congratulations Millie. Well deserved and it’s so nice to receive recognition from our piers.

2. Sharifah says:

Congratulations on the award, Millie. I agree with you on your pet peeve – I can’t stand people who are rude, arrogant and inconsiderate.

I think there may be quite a few of us who share this ‘pet peeve’, Sharifah. There’s no place at all for rude, inconsiderate people. Thank you for your congratulations and kind words. 🙂

3. Congratulations! You are a real sister. I like the six mice when you were five. I also had a white mouse. They are so cute.

Our children all had mice as pets when they were young, too, Ineke, as well as hamsters and guinea pigs. I’m glad to hear that you liked mice, too. Fortunately none of those escaped further than the house. Thank you for the congratulations! 🙂

• I have forgotten about hamsters and guinea pigs! My son was into hamsters and my husband always had guinea pigs- same cage with his pigeons!

I’ve never seen guinea pigs with pigeons! I imagine they must have got on well together. You often see guinea pigs and rabbits together. They’re all lovely animals. Were your husband’s pigeons, ‘homing pigeons’?

• Yes, they were tumblers, very tame and the guinea pigs were also tame. They were on the ground and pigeons more on their “sticks?”-on which they could sit. They all could roam around in a piece of the garden. (I did not really like it because sometimes there were to many and sometimes my husband would just ignore them and I had to feed and look after them. My husband had an unstable mind!)

I know you were divorced Ineke, so I realise that last statement wasn’t said as a joke. It must all have been very hard on you.
        Are you on an extended holiday in NZ now, with it being your summer? If so, I hope you’re enjoying it and managing to catch up on all the things that always pile up when you’re at work. I also hope you’re having a rest.

• It was hard to cope with a husband like that. His mood swings were at the end too much for him too. That is why he committed suicide in my garage with my son and me coming home from school. I am relaxing at home at the moment. Also trying to catch up with my writing because when the school starts I will only have time in the mornings say, 9-10 am. Hope for the best! I migrated to NZ so it’s real life living here!

Thank you for explaining all that, Ineke. You’ve had a lot to deal with in life, and I can only hope it’s now all well behind you. New Zealand looks and sounds like a wonderful place to live, and I know you’re well settled there now. Perhaps one day you’ll manage to make the visit back to SA, as you mentioned you’d love to, a while ago now. Finding the cost is always the hardest bit. An hour a day won’t give you much time for writing, but at least it’s better than nothing. Take care.

• Well, I just take it as it comes. An hour for flash fiction is enough as long as I keep up doing it. Have a good week end. Thanks for understanding also!

I won’t be on my blog much at all after this week, Ineke – I’ve hardly been on it this week, either. Sometimes, we just have to prioritise, and I’ve put off concentrating on my writing for a long time now. Time to focus now! I just hope I can manage to post the odd thing to keep my blog ticking over. It will be hard to pick up where I left off. I hope you manage to keep up your own writing, too. You’re now in the same position as me, since you’ve published your book. Book 2 calls!

• I know! Hope you can be strong against the call of the blog world. Enjoy your writing. Just go for it!

Thanks, Ineke. I’ll be putting a ‘closing down for a while’ post up during the weeek, but I’ve hardly been on my blog this week anyway. I’ll be thinking of you out there, busy writing and working as well ! I know you’re happy ay work, but remember to make time for yourself, too.

4. Congratulations, Millie! Love your idea of a weekly post on British sayings and their origins. If they’re anything like your Word of the Week posts, I know they’ll be fantastic!

Thank you, Jean. I think I’ll have to start making lists of all the sayings I know. There are a lot of strange ones that may give people a giggle. I just need to have a think about how to present each post. 🙂

5. Millie, thank you so much for the kind words. I love your answers. You and I began blogs for the same reason, and I also rarely tweet anything except my WordPress feed. It just takes so much time! I also have a fear of sharks, and I write a lot about them. I am transfixed to Discovery TV’s Shark Week that airs in August. Your mice story is pretty funny. They are cute little creatures, but would most certainly displease the neighbors. I like also how you left the award open to those who wish to participate, I have done that before also. Thanks again 🙂

Thanks L.T. I’ve never seen Shark Week, but it sounds like something I ought to see. I have a fascination for watching sharks, too. As creatures of the sea they are magnificent and so well adapted to killing! Lol I try not to think about that when I go snorkelling.:) As for leaving the award open, this is the first time I’ve done that, simply because I have the feeling no one ever accepts awards unless they are nominated personally. I had very few people I hadn’t nominated before for this award, so leaving it open seemed the best thing to do. Thank you again for nominating me! 🙂

6. Congratulations millie .You really deserved it.

7. anroworld says:

DEar Millie, my sincere congratulations! I found out a lot about you, thank you for answering the questions! Great post!

8. Congratulations Millie 🙂 I could just imagine the mice scene, and your neighbors all furious… :p

I don’t think my parents were very pleased at the time! But I did love my little mice and could never understand why many people hated them. I suppose it’s no different to my dislike of snakes, whem some people love them. Thank you, Freda. 🙂

9. What can I say? Is there anything we don’t know about you now 😉

10. Shivangi says:

Lovely to read more about you Millie😀

11. Susan says:

Congrats to you. I had mice too when I was a young child. 🙂

12. Congratulations Millie! 🙂 It’s good to know you want to travel the world as much as I do. 😉 Honestly, my heart melted when I read about the six “best moments”. Your love to your children is unconditionally. Such a sweet mom you are! ❤ I truly hope you are able to get two more books done this year! Good luck! 😉

13. inesephoto says:

Great blog, it is why I love all these nominations 🙂 Your six best moments are something to inspire. You are amazing!

Thank you, Inese. I think blog awards are really good at letting us all get to know each other a little better. Many bloggers don’t accept nominations beacause writing the posts can be very time consuming – so that’s understandable.
      (I wish I could ‘amazingly’ finish my book in the next week or two. But I’ll push on with it, anyway! 😀 )

14. Congratulations! It’s always nice to read these kind of posts, but it’s also a bit of work to write them, isn’t it?

Thank you, Rockhopper! Award posts do take a long time to construct, which is the reason why many blogs are ‘Award Free’. I’m not sure whether yours is, as you have no mention of being so on your page (unless I’ve overlooked it, somewhere). Awards are a great way to get to know each other better and make our ‘blogging friends’ seem more like real people, but not everyone likes to divulge things about themselves. But when answering the questions, you can do so without giving away anything you’d rather not discuss. It’s all very much down to individual bloggers.
      Most of my posts tend to be long ones, which is why I couldn’t post every day. Your photos and short pieces of information are ideal for daily posts. But many people who already post daily, don’t do awards and challenges because they can’t fit them in.
      I have another 3 quotes challenge to do next week. Would I be right in thinking that you wouldn’t like to do it? I love quotes and have done this one a few times now.

• I got many nominations, but you’re right, I think I don’t want to do it, because it doesn’t really fit to my blog. However, I enjoy reading award posts, so I’m curios about your next posts 🙂

15. Lina says:

What lovely answers! Enjoyed the read! Idk how I missed this post on my reader:(… Btw I’ll be posting the award post tonight..check it out☺

16. Nice to learn more about you. I love the ‘best moments in your life.’ Sweet!!!

17. Hey Millie! Just an update that I’ll have to postpone the book post for a bit…. I’m just posting old drafts now, ones that are already ready to go, because I’m swamped with job hunting. Happy winter days to you, hope all is well! 🙂 Bye!

I hope your job hunting goes well and you get something in the area you’re interested in. If job hunting in Finland is anything like it is here in Britain, you’ll not have an easy task ahead of you.
      Of course I understand about the review post. It was very good of you to offer to do one, but if you can’t fit one in, thet’s perfectly OK. Thank you for letting me know, anyway.
      I’m not posting anything myself at the moment. I’ve been saying I’m having a blogging break soon for ages, so this time, I’m actually doing that. I need to write, so that’s that. I haven’t been on my blog for almost two weeks, so thought I’d pop on to see if there were any answer comments to answer. Hope to be back in a few weeks’ time.

18. I love the answer to number five.
    😉

Thanks, Chioma. I’m not in the least bit surprised you like that answer. Family is something we both hold dear. As you know, I’m having a short break in blogging at the moment, but I’ll be back in a couple of weeks. Hope all is well with you and that 2016 got off to a great start. 😀

• It has been an awesome year.
        Hope the break has been fun and peaceful. How’s the writing going?

So far in my ‘break’ I’ve managed to do some writing, but we’ve also had visitors again, which has held the writing up more than I’d have liked. I can’t seem to win! I’ve missed my blog, but I’m determined to finish this book sometime before summer and I’ve still a lot to do. Thank you for asking, Chioma, I’ll be back posting in a few weeks. 🙂

• Look forward to reading them.
        XD
        Sorry about the visitors, life never seems to give us all we want as once does it?

19. Pingback: The Sisterhood Of The World Bloggers Award/ Second Award | Gharkepakwan

20. I am sure I responded to this post before, but something has happened to it because I can’t see it here. Although when I respond on my phone, it doesn’t always work, so perhaps that is the explanation. Anyway, I did say thanks for mentioning my blog posts Proverbial Thursdays and I am so glad that you are doing a similar thing. It will be great. I did mention something about the mice, but I can’t remember what I said now….. Congratulations on the award nomination and I hope you are finding your blog break productive!

I’ve just been into my ‘Comments’ to see if I missed a comment on this post, Amanda, but only found the one on the little leprechaun. Perhaps that’s the one one you had in mind? Thank you, anyway. I can’t say when I’ll be back posting again fully atm. I was thinking of putting a quick one uo tomorrow, as my first book in free on Amazon on Thursday. I don’t really like having an advertising post as my first one in 3 weeks, so I may not bother. I also have another Three Quotes Challenge to do at some stage. I was nominated for that 3 weeks ago.
      The break has given me time to catch up on lots of things I’d neglected, like writing book reviews. I’ve been needing to stand back from WP for a while. Still, I do miss it and am looking forward to coming back. 🙂

21. Nirodaigh says:

Again, an enjoyable read. I echo many of your sentiments, sigh often about the current huge unrest in our world (or do we just nowadays hear too much??) and damage we are doing to our planet. But recently I watched a short clip about a Danish economist who vehemently (verbally) attacked a journalist, telling him the media is hugely responsible for making people feel like the world is deteriorating, while in fact many good things are also going on. We just don’t get to hear them. If I can find the link back I will share, it made me smile anyway. I think he was Danish…

I’d love the link, but don’t worry if you can’t find it now. I suppose we all have our own views on the state of the world, but really, the fact that some things in the world are deteriorating can’t be overlooked. Though I realise some good things are happening , too – but I might take some time to recall what they are. 😀

22. I really enjoyed reading! Well done on being nominated and one day I hope I am too! I agree with your pet peeve! Mine is also rudeness …. that and people eating loudly with mouth wide open! It’s enough to make you scream!

Eating with mouth wide open is decidedly yuk! Haha. I have four or five more blog award posts to write up, as soon as I find time to do them. I’ll probably double up some of them. I’ll be hopping over to your blog very soon. Thank you for the follow! Much appreciated. 🙂