Word of the Week (WOW) is a weekly challenge created by Heena Rathore P. It’s a fun way to improve vocabulary by learning new words every week.
To participate, simply do a post with your word and leave the link as a comment on Heena’s WOW post for this week (above link).
I’m up to the letter V this week so I’ll be looking for a good word beginning with W
So, here is my WOW for this week:
vac·u·ous (vak-yoo-uh s)
Part of Speech:
1. Lacking intelligence; stupid or empty-headed.
2. Devoid of expression; vacant: a vacuous stare.
3. Lacking substance or meaning; vapid or inane e.g. a vacuous comment.
4. Lacking serious purpose or occupation; idle: e.g. After a night almost devoid of sleep, John had a vacuous day at the office:
5. Devoid of matter; empty: e.g. a vacuous space.
Vapid, stupid, inane, asinine, blank, mindless, meaningless, fatuous, vacant, empty, unintelligent, incommunicative, uncommunicative.
1640s: empty, from Latin vacuus – empty, void, free (as in vacuum). The figurative sense of ‘empty of ideas’ is from 1848.
Use in a Sentence:
1. John worried that after a few too many cocktails, Erica’s mind would become vacuous:
2. The demonstrators were chanting particularly vacuous slogans:
3. (Adverb use). At weekends, Kathy gossiped vacuously for hours with her friends:
If you’d like to see more interesting words visit Heena’s page:
9 thoughts on “Word of the Week (WOW) – Vacuous”
This is NOT a vacuous post.
Thank you, Ann. I’ve been ‘offline’ (if there is such a word for having no internet) for a week, but I hope to get back to normal soon. I have a lot of things to play catch up on. 🙂
I’m always grateful to see you, Millie. I think it’s important to get some offline time, too.
Well, we didn’t have any choice, Ann. The internet is always dodgy in our small village, and it was almost a week before engineers deigned to come out this time! Still, we’re OK now and I’ve stopped grumbling.
Choices make a big difference, Millie! So glad you’re OK.
Thank you, Ann.
“Erica’s mind would become vacuous ” 🙂
Unfortunately some of our politicians are too vacuous to gain respect!!!!
Ha ha ha. That’s the level of too many politicians everywhere. It seems to be one of the ‘entry’ qualifications nowadays. 🙂