Boiling Point – FFfAW

Boiling Point

Zak’s temper boiled and finally erupted. He stomped round the room, fists striking at empty space. How could she! After the months of fun they’d had, he’d never imagined she’d betray him. All he’d asked was her support of his work – and her discretion.

Jodie claimed she was good at keeping secrets, and she’d more than benefitted from their affair. The costly gifts he’d showered on her after successful operations always made her smile – and very compliant…

His rage was rising again and he cursed. If he ever set eyes on Jodie again he wouldn’t be responsible for his actions.

‘Sit down,’ one of the burly officers snapped as they entered. ‘Chief Inspector Roberts is on the way. And don’t try any sweet talk. Roberts isn’t known for being nice.’

‘Morning Zak,’ Roberts said as she swept in, a polythene bag full of jewellery in her hand.

‘Jodie…!’ he croaked. ‘You’re a stinkin’ cop… You bitch! ’

Jodie smirked. ‘That’s me. Now, just for the tape, remind me of where this little lot came from…’

This is my story for Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers The prompt was kindly provided by artycaptures. It’s the first flash fiction I’ve done for a while – in fact, it’s the first thing I’ve posted at all for a few weeks – so I thought it was time to change things.

FFfAW is a writing challenge hosted by Priceless Joy. It involves writing a story from a given photo prompt in 100-150 words, give or take 25. If you’d like to join in, follow the above link to see what to do. The challenge runs from Tuesday – Tuesday every week.

To read other stories or add a story yourself, click on the little blue frog:

wpimg

This entry was posted in Flash Fiction and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Boiling Point – FFfAW

1. Jeanne says:

OOooo…intense. Fun to read.

2. Shivangi says:

Hahahaha….I would never have guessed the end. Fun read Millie!

Oh, I’m glad you didn’t find it obvious too early. I was aiming for a punchline, but it isn’t always easy to keep obvious bits out! Thanks for that, Shivangi.

Ha, I like the idea of him freely giving the fruits of his thievery straight over to a police officer as gifts 🙂 Great story, and I like your use of the picture as his rage bubbling over.

Thanks Ali. I couldn’t think of anything to write about chocolate (or whatever it is) bubbling over the rim of the cup! So I thought about what else bubbled over in life – and came up with tempers. I’m glad you liked it, anyway. 🙂

Good to see you back, Millie! Intriguing story — I was guessing (incorrectly) right up to the end about what was going on. Seems like Zak was doing the same thing with Jodie! Fun take on the prompt.

5. milliethom says:

Thanks Joy! I feel as though I’ve been away from my blog for months, and it’s only been three weeks – although it is over two months since I wrote a piece of flash). This was a prompt I’d decided not to bother with until I started thinking about it! I hope it worked, anyway.

6. Great story Millie! I loved it! Glad he got caught and that Jodi was a cop!

7. MG WELLS says:

I enjoyed the FF, Millie. Best wishes. You are so talented.

8. milliethom says:

Thanks for the lovely comment, MG. I decided it was time I got back to my blog and this prompt caught my eye. Thanks for the RT, too.

9. Wow… the ending 😀 Loved the story.

10. Great story! Love the twist!

11. milliethom says:

Hi Cathy. The twist sort of came on its own with this story. (I’ve probably been watching too many detective series on TV.) 😀

12. afairymind says:

I always love a good detective story! 🙂

13. milliethom says:

Thank you, Charlotte. It’s the first flash fic I’ve written for a while, so I’m glad you liked it! 😀

14. That’s great! What a little nugget 😁 best of luck to you! You inspired me to throw in a visor as well. . . It’s nice to change things up

Fun read Millie. 😀 Who would’ve guessed?
    Millie I’ve completed reading “A Dash of Flash” and was so thrilled to leave my comments on the book on Goodreads and my blog. I had a great time reading this book. Hope you come up with a second version of this too. 😀
    Thanks for always bringing such wonderful stories to us. 😀

Oh, thank you so much for that, Norma –
      for liking this post and for reviewing my book! Like you, I love writing stories, whether flash fiction or longer ones. I wrote quite a few in Dash of Flash just for the book, especially the longer ones. I’d love to publish a second book, eventually, as I already have a lot of stories written. But I MUST finish Book 3 of my trilogy first! I should have finished it months ago, but life seems to keep getting in the way. 🙂
      I hope you had a lovely holiday and feel nicely refreshed. Are you going back to school or have you finished there now?

• Norma says:

All the best, Millie. 🙂
        I’ve finished my project over there and waiting for something else to work for me. Hope good things work out in time. 🙂

16. Christy B says:

The end was so unexpected, Millie!! Haha 😉

17. Antonia says:

I love what this picture inspired you to write! How creative!