Virginia Creeper

shutterstock_227405548

Virginia Creeper

The first time Emily saw the outhouse at the bottom of the rambling, overgrown garden, she was entranced by the colourful foliage bedecking its red brick walls. Her family had only recently moved into this old house and investigating it thoroughly was irresistible to an inquisitive girl of twelve.

‘The one covered in Virginia Creeper?’ Dad asked, glancing over the rim of his teacup when she’d asked about it last night. ‘It was the gardener’s domain years ago. An ancestor of mine was gardener here before the Great War. He was sent to the Western Front and is buried out there in Flanders.’

This was all news to Emily, but interesting all the same. She wondered whether that was the reason Dad had wanted this place so badly, especially as it was very run down and needed a lot of work doing on it. Until now she’d thought Dad wanted the house because it was big, and cheap for the size. Mum was expecting again, and a family of eight would need a lot of bedrooms.

‘If you look inside, you’ll see some really old tools,’ Dad added as an afterthought.

‘Make sure you don’t touch anything,’ Mum warned, bouncing Emily’s youngest brother, Stevie, on her lap before standing to take him up to bed. ‘Tools can be sharp.’

Straight after breakfast, Emily headed out into the early September sunshine, pushing the dismal thought of school next week to the back of her mind. She flipped the latch on the old door and stepped inside.

A young man wearing a flat cap was humming to himself as he hung a variety of rusting rakes along a wall. ‘Hello, Emily love,’ he said. ‘I’d hoped you’d pop in today. ‘Your dad said you might.’

‘He did? When did he tell you that? Who are you, anyway? Are you one of the workmen come to repair all the windows?’

‘I’m your great-great-great-grandad. Now there’s a mouthful for you to get your tongue round. I’m the gardener your dad told you about last night and my name’s George. I’d seen you having a look round yesterday, so I thought I’d best introduce myself next time you came.’

Emily suddenly smiled. ‘But you’re, uh, dead…aren’t you?’ He nodded. ‘So you must be a ghost! I’ve always wanted my very own ghost. Can I come and see you every day…and can I just call you Grandad? And I’d love to know what it’s like to be a ghost. And, if you can remember, can you tell me what it was like in this house before the Great War?’

‘All in good time, Emily. We’ll have some years to talk now we’re acquainted. I can tell you a lot about many things – and yes, just Grandad will do nicely. But please don’t ask about what happened in France the day I died, ’cos I don’t rightly remember after I went over the top.

Emily had no idea what he meant by ‘over the top’, but she’d look it up later on. ‘That’s all right, Grandad. I wouldn’t think anyone would like to remember their own death. We’ll talk about nice things, I promise. So, tell me, what it’s like to stay young-looking forever … and how long have you’ve been talking to my dad … did you know him when a little boy … and why have you grown Virginia Creeper all over the outhouse walls?’

Grandad suddenly laughed. ‘You’re just like your dad was at your age. He couldn’t keep quiet for a moment, either. I’ll answer one of your questions, Emily, but then I need to rest for a while. I grow Virginia Creeper because it reminds me of my beautiful wife – your great-great-great grandma. Her name was Virginia, you see, and she had lovely red hair. So whenever I see the plant at this time of year, I feel she’s still with me.’

Emily felt a sudden lump in her throat. ‘That’s such a sad but very romantic story, Grandad. Thank you for telling me.’

‘Right then,’ Grandad said. ‘I’m very glad to have met you, Emily, but I really need to rest now. Come back to see me tomorrow and we’ll chat some more.’

Emily watched her grandad fade away then hurried back to the house. She’d spend some time searching the Internet for information about the Great War and ‘going over the top’. Then she’d look up all about growing Virginia Creeper. So tomorrow, if Grandad mentioned them, she’d have no need to ask so many questions and tire him out.

But there was one question that continued to pique Emily’s curiosity and she sighed, knowing she wasn’t likely to find the answer on the Internet. Tomorrow, she’d simply have to ask Grandad why he couldn’t meet up with Grandma now that they were both dead.

virginia

This is a story I wrote over a year ago as one of the longer ones for my book ‘A Dash of Flash’.

For anyone who doesn’t know what a flat cap is, here’s an image from Wikipedia with a little bit of information about what one actually is – also from Wikipedia.

Flat cap, side view. Photographed by Heron. Creative Commons

Flat cap, side view. Photographed by Heron. Creative Commons

“A flat cap is a rounded cap with a small stiff brim in front. The hat is also known as a cabbie cap, longshoreman’s cap, cloth cap, scally cap, Wigens cap, ivy cap, derby hat, jeff cap, duffer cap, duckbill cap, driving cap, bicycle cap, Irish cap, Newsboy cap, Crook cap, Joao’s hat, Sixpence, or a Paddy cap. In Scotland it is known as a bunnet, in Wales as a Dai cap, and in New Zealand, as a cheese-cutter.”

“The style can be traced back to the 14th century in Northern England, when it was more likely to be called a “bonnet”, which term was replaced by “cap” before about 1700, except in Scotland, where it continues to be referred to as a ‘bunnet’.”

My husband, who’s as ‘Northern’ as can be, being a Yorkshireman, wouldn’t dream of gardening without his flat cap on his head.

*****

This entry was posted in Creative Writing, Flash Fiction and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Virginia Creeper

Hey, yeah, good question, Emily. I hope his wife didn’t go to “the other place” when she died 🙂

I love Emily taking the discovery of the ghost all in her stride, and being so excited about it.

2. Your story is lovely. A nice read.

3. Singledust says:

But please don’t ask about what happened in France the day I died, ’cos I don’t rightly remember after I went over the top. – my favourite line and i think he is such a sweet grandpa. Emily’s questions is so innocent yet thoughtful about the people she loved. Lovely flash MillieThom!

Thank you, Gina. I wanted to make Emily’s constant barrage of questions into something endearing and a little humorous, too. I’m glad you like the way she turned out!

What a great character – Emily is so inquisitive and brave, and also not at all bothered by ghosts and death, which is interesting at her age. I hope she forgets about looking up what going “over the top” means, though. I wonder whether Emily’s dad knew that she’d be able to see the ghost. I go the impression that only family could. Otherwise the place would have a scary reputation for being haunted, which I’m sure a curious girl like Emily would have picked up on right away. This feels it’s setting the stage for a longer story. Were you thinking of expanding it?

Thanks, Joy. I rather like Emily, too. 🙂 It’s funny you asked about expanding this story because it’s one I’d already wondered about. I really enjoy stories set in the First World War and I’ve had a few ideas how I could develop this into at least a novella. But until I finish my trilogy (!) I can’t think too much about it.

• Joy Pixley says:

I know what you mean. I’d like to try other projects too, but I feel pretty committed to getting this novel finished first. I can see how there’s even more pressure when it’s part of a trilogy!

5. leggypeggy says:

Lovely story. Thanks for all the extra names for a flat cap.

6. cherylfoston says:

What a nice story Millie!

7. irinadim says:

Absolutely charming story, Millie. I was spellbound and filled with such good feelings… We have a Virginia Creeper in our garden, too, and my husband has a flat cap just like the one in the photo. Interesting how many different names it has.

Virginia creeper is so colourful and I love to see it change from green to red in early autumn. As for flat caps, my husband has always worn one, and not just for gardening nowadays. He always wears one when we’re outdoors in the winter – and he generally refers to flat caps as cheesecutters.
      Thank you for the kind words about my story, Irina. I’m glad you liked it.

8. anroworld says:

I like your writing style, dear Millie!

9. Love the story, milliethom. And, as a side note, I currently own eight flat caps of various colors and weights.

I knew you were a fan of flat caps, Jack, from your Gravatar image…but eight? That’s more than one for each day of the week, so I’g guessing you just like to have a variety of designs to choose from – dependent on your mood, of course. Nick currently has three (although one looks like the dog chewed it – if we had a dog, that is.) I think flat caps are cool, so good on you for having eight! 😀

• Exactly, milliethom. Variety of designs and weights (some for summer, winter, spring, fall). I bet Nick’s ‘dog-chewed’ cap looks cool. I have one of my own. Wear it to do gardening and other outdoor projects. I might add, just for clarification, that’ I’ve only bought three of my caps, the rest were gifts. 🙂

10. It’s nice to see that you have continue your creative writing📇

11. Antonia says:

My husband has a flat cap and wears it all the time. I didn’t know they were called flat caps. He just loves it! I love your story!

12. inesephoto says:

It is such a lovely story, Millie. I believe that our ancestors are hanging around. It is very sad that Emily’s Granddad lost his beautiful wife. It looks like she had found another love after he died. That is life . xx

13. I really like how much imagery you pack into each sentence!

14. Oh! I love the photo ! I just posted my switzerland trip and other Europe trip! Would love to connect with you! I just followed you too! Would love to connect with you! XOXO Chy – http://herlostmango.com

15. but I want to know where is great great great Grandma too! Great story Millie! I love the red haired lady. I’ve been absent from blogging for a bit. Hope all is well!!!