Teamwork – Monday’s Finish the Story

It’s time for Monday’s Finish the Story again. This is a flash fiction challenge which asks that we write a story in 150 words from the picture and first line prompt, kindly provided by the  host, Barbara W. Beacham.

Here is this week’s photo . . .

2015-03-23-bw-beacham1

. . . and this is my story, including the first line prompt:

When the team heard the dam explode, they knew they had limited time to make it to safety.

Dave made the split-second decision that offered his team the only hope of survival. Ahead lay the series of rapids they’d been preparing to negotiate: too late now to escape the river’s fast-flowing pull. Behind them the raging dam waters neared.

‘Blades down!’ he yelled from the helm, thrusting his paddle into the billowing foam. ‘We’re in this together, so control this baby!’

The raft plunged over the dip … straight into the clutches of violent eddies that sent them spinning into jagged rocks. The raft tilted perilously and water swamped the craft. Two men momentarily disappeared, only practised survival skills preventing them from being swept into the suds.

They hit the pool mere yards from the bank as the deafening roar reached the dip.

‘Swim for it!’ Dave yelled.

‘Great teamwork, guys,’ Greg hollered down as they scrambled up the bank. Sound effects OK? River rescue practice tomorrow …’

Word count: 150

To view other entries, click here.

mondays-finish-the-story

This entry was posted in Flash Fiction and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Teamwork – Monday’s Finish the Story

1. babso2you says:

Well done Millie! Full of tension! Thanks for participating again in the MFtS challenge! See you next week? Be well… ^..^

2. Hilarious twist at the end… and I was so concerned at first!

3. Sonya says:

Excellent twist. I like how you slipped their “practised survival skills” in to make the ending work. Nicely done!

Nice twist! Thanks to your brilliant descriptions I was right there with them during their (fake) experience 🙂

5. That was fantastic! I was right there on the edge of my seat then POW, the ending. LOL! You got me! I enjoyed reading this. 😀

6. What a tense story! Had me gripped all the way through.

7. Great take Millie, you took me with you on the journey down the river and thru the bumps and perils then I had to read the ending twice having thought….What? Very well done.

8. Cecilia says:

Perfect twist, you had me there! Thanks for sharing.

9. Tastyniblets says:

Loved it! A fast paced, action filled adventure 🙂

10. Great twist, Millie. Looks like they’ll be ready for the real thing if it ever happens. Great description. 🙂 — Suzanne

11. I of July says:

good action… I know these have been distracting you from fully focusing on your new novel but we are loving them so please don’t stop 🙂

12. What a tensed adventure! 🙂 I was there all the way until the end I laughed so hard 😛 Great story Millie! 😉

13. Bekki Hill says:

Me too – I was in there with them! Well done.

Great teamwork they get a star and since you are the coach of the team you get this 🙂 What an interesting turn towards the end. What a relief.

15. rogershipp says:

The theatrics of a modern rescue mission. Gotta love-em.

16. John Yeo says:

Superb tension ~ I thought the ending twist was perfect for the story ~ Action~ Reaction then cut, print and relax

17. phylor says:

I love the flow of the words — like a calmer river. Surprise ending was good!

18. scrapydotwo says:

I worked myself up and a sigh of relieve – it was only a practice and not the real one. Well written

19. Hahaha – you love these movie scenes. I love it too.

20. Pingback: A Dam Explosion – Short Story | Tribalmystic