Take My Hand – Friday Fictioneers

Friday Fictioneers is a flash fiction challenge which asks that we write a story in no more than 100 words from the photo prompt kindly provided by the host, Rochelle Wisoff Fields. To join in with the challenge, or find out more about it, just follow the link on the challenge title above.

Here is this week’s prompt, copyright Jennifer Pendergast . . .

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

and this is my story . . .

‘Take my hand,’ you say. ‘Come with me on a journey to the stars. We could reach the ends of the Universe, you and I; wonder at things hitherto unseen. No boundaries to hold us back.’

I smile up at your handsome face; the fire that burns in your eyes. You want me, it’s clear, though you hardly know me at all.

You reach out your hand, unfurl your fingers in a gesture of love. I recoil from the small white package so tenderly cradled mere moments ago. I shake my head and turn away from your proffered hand.

If you’d like to read other entries, click on the little blue fellow below:

This entry was posted in Flash Fiction and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

82 Responses to Take My Hand – Friday Fictioneers

1. ansumani says:

Seems like a wise choice…This story read like a poem.

2. mjlstories says:

I love the way you flip this story right over.
    Cleverly done. Very sad.

3. It amazes me as to how you can draw us in with just a few words Millie! Very nice.

4. TEG Diez says:

I agree! Don’t go with him!!!!

She’s not going to be taken in so easily. Nice story!

6. There are times when one simply has to take chance and i kind of feel sad that she didn’t! Anyways your story is really great! I loved it!

7. I thought it was a great story and I particularly loved the ending. She was a smart girl! I would love to see the look on his face. 😀

8. That little white package says more than 100 words. Lovely.

9. Nan Falkner says:

I agree – don’t go with him – good job! Nan

10. Mike says:

I was reading your story, and then the last sentence hit me like a brick. Like the way you build up the story to the last sentence. That last sentence told it all. Good job!

Clever girl. 🙂 A poetic touch, a story and a twist all in 99 words…Millie you are the master. 😀

12. scrapydotwo says:

Perfect story. Your twist at the end was for the best. Boys/men like that are not that welcome

13. Creatopath says:

The words you use produce great imagery and the story is fantastic. Great job!

Thank you for that great comment, Rachel. I wondered whether this story might be a bit too far ‘outside the box’. I just became fixated by the couplings – connections and reaching out to each other and so on. I’m glad it worked for you. 🙂

• Creatopath says:

No, it was great. Love outside the box. Forgot to ask – was the white package an engagement ring or am I completely on the wrong track??

The white package was meant to be some kind of drug – some hallucinogenic one. I hoped to infer that in the opening couple of sentences about journeying to the stars. (I had the Beattles’ old song in my head here – ‘Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds’ – which was always understood to mean going on a ‘trip’.) Ah, well, I know people will interpret things in their own way and. as long as they can get something from the story, I’ll be happy. Thanks for asking, Rachel. 🙂

• Creatopath says:

Ah yes, I get it now. Thanks for filling me in.

You’re very welcome.

14. She was wise enough not to go with him. I imagine she has a better without him. Possibly finding someone way better than him 😛 You did a brilliant job on writing this amazing story in 99 words only Millie! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Thank you for the lovely comment, Khloe. I definitely think the young woman in my story could find someone much better than a drug user/pusher. I know that wasn’t clear to everyone, so if you interpreted the story differently, that’s fine. 🙂

15. Lovely. I agree with Ansumani – it reads like a poem. I wonder what was in the white package? Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• I had missed the comment above! Sorry! For me, the story reads with some mystery, which is part of the its appeal. Well done.

Thank you so much, Carina. 🙂 I’m beginning to think I should have made that little white packet a bit clearer. I had intended it to be some kind of drugs – one that induced hallucinations. I’d hoped the reference to the journey to the stars would fit in with that. The young woman recoiling from it was intended to show her repugnance at the idea. I suppose, as it stands, it could be interpreted as something quite innocent. 🙂

16. Sandra says:

I got the story, I don’t think you needed to clarify it. It was half-endearing and half-repulsive and very cleverly constructed.

17. plaridel says:

this proves again that timing is everything. obviously, she wasn’t ready.

18. Francesca Smith says:

A very well written story, and I think this line “unfurl your fingers in a gesture of love”, is wonderful.

19. Well done. I was seduced until the end. I’m backing away slowly.
    Be well and just say no to drugs,
    Tracey

20. Amy Reese says:

I think she knows something is not quite right. Good sensible, girl. Millie, this has such a nice lyrical feel to it. Nicely done.

21. phylor says:

Definitely made the right choice!
    So much more hinted at. Lyrical.
    A great response to the prompt.

22. Aaahhhh…so romantic! 🙂

23. Bekki Hill says:

Neatly done. Beautiful flow to the writing. I was intrigued to see what you were going to write from that picture. Nice one!

24. Dear Millie,

It’s easy to be seduced by a handsome face, isn’t it? Glad she made the right choice and I’m glad you wrote such a good story.

Shalom,

Rochelle

25. A clever story, Millie, and very well written. You had me thinking it was a story about burning passion and it ended up being something far more sordid. I’m glad she was wise enough to reject his offer.

26. MissTiffany says:

You had me hooked! I actually leaned closer to the screen as I read. I’m glad she had the strength of will to refuse. Well done!

27. Ahhh … smart woman to reject. Her instincts cleverly saw right through that handsome face.
    Very good story, Millie.
    Isadora 😎

28. erinleary says:

Sometimes desire just isn’t enough. Nicely done.

29. I love where you took this story.. there are some trips that only goes one way.

30. You left just enough of a hint for the ending to work powerfully. Great image of the unfurling hand and a sharp, quick turn-around at the end.

31. I also think she made a wise decision. He seems to be too much of a dreamer with no plans. Well written, Millie. Great description. 🙂 — Suzanne

32. This story is so lyrical! Beautiful story dear!

33. Very moving and delicately captured in your words Millie. I loved it

34. talesbytink says:

Reminds me of a boyfriend I had years ago who tried to convince me to take heroin.

I like the first ‘jar’ where something seems odd… where he wants her but hardly knows her. If that wasn’t there I think the twist wouldn’t work but it’s a fitting segway (sp??). Not easy, 100 words. It must be very satisfying to get it right!

Thank you Tink.It is a big challenge to write a story in 100 words, but definitely satisfying when you manage it! I’m not sure what segway means, but perhaps you were thinking os segue – which means continuation, I think? I’ll have to look both words up!
      I hope your writing is progressing well and you’re getting closer to sending work off to a publisher. It’s probably best to aim for the traditional route – much more satisfying, in the end.