What Is Love In Four Words – Tag Post

shutterstock_126632321

Well, this post is completely different to my usual thing! I was nominated by the delightful Rachael at rachaelsbooks and thought I’d give it a go.

Now, I must warn you that ‘Romance’ writing is not at all my thing. My books do have elements of ‘love’ in them because, after all, love is part of everyday life. But I write of love as a deep and powerful, often passionate, emotion, without what I would call the ‘twee’ aspects of it associated with Valentine’s Day and such like.

Yes, I know the sentiments behind the Day are admirable, and everyone likes tokens from their loved ones, so I’m not pooh-poohing the idea. But writing these short phrases was a bit of a challenge for me. (I’ve already told Rachael that mine will be boring. I can’t really say it’s an ‘age thing’. My husband of 45 years is an incurable romantic! Perhaps I should have asked him to write these! Haha.)

This is what Rachael said the challenge was about:

hashtaglovebooks decided to do something interesting this Valentine’s. A challenge or tag where you write ten “what is love in four words” sentences about what you love and what you believe is love. Then state one of your favorite love quotes from a book, a movie or a famous person and then tag ten other bloggers to do the challenge as well.

After all that, here are my ten, four word phrases about LOVE:

Love is . . .

. . . a blossom to nurture

. . . hearts beating in harmony

. . . when spring seems eternal

. . . a smouldering, relentless passion

. . . a sweet, insatiable desire

. . . an ocean of emotion

. . . a plethora of passions

. . . balmy nights, bodies intertwined

. . . sweet nothings, softly whispered

. . . summer’s soft, silken breath

Now for my favourite love quote from a book. There are a few I like – some from Wuthering Heights, which I studied for ‘A’ level many years ago. But for this, I’ve picked a much simpler, less impassioned or brooding quote than any of Heathcliff’s. This is by Robert Browning, also studied for ‘A’ level:

‘So, fall asleep love, loved by me . . . for I know love, I am loved by thee.’

(Yes, it’s a bit dated – but then, so am I! I also love anything historical.)

Now here are my ten nominations:

1. Tribalmystic
  2. Emily Livingstone
  3. meghdeb
  4. Priceless Joy
  5. Scribbley
  6. mira65
  7. Elsa Holland
  8. penshift
  9. draliman
  10. John Yeo

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to What Is Love In Four Words – Tag Post

1. mojoshawn says:

Lovely phrases, Millie. 🙂

2. Ann Koplow says:

Four words: I love this post.

Lovely phrases and I love the alliterations.
    And thanks for nominating me. Hmm 🙂

4. Beautiful! Whoa! Is that how much I have to write? 😉 Thank you so much Millie.

5. This is like a chain letter 😛

That’s exactly what I thought. It seems a strange thing, but what the heck . . .? I thought I’d have a go. It was nice of Rachael to think of me. I tried to get a couple of men to do it because the ‘tag’ seemed in danger of becoming female only. One of them has said yes, so far. 🙂

6. I really loved the quote, simple words always speak more 🙂

Yes, I love that quote, too. There are a few I could have done, most of them quite well known. Browning’s quote has been in my head for years, and you’re right. The simple ones are always more effective. 🙂

7. I of July says:

indeed it is all those things… 45 yrs of it sure taught you something… you’re lucky and your husband even luckier 🙂

Well, thank you for that lovely comment, Heath! 🙂 You don’t know how close you came to being nominated to do this. The only reason I didn’t tag you was because I know how busy you are right now. I would have loved you to do it. Your sentences would, undoubtedly, have been the best of all! 🙂

8. Pingback: What is Love in Four Words | scribbley

9. Pingback: “Attention” -Friday Fictioneers & Belated “Love in Four Words” challenge | Unmapped Country within Us

10. Pingback: Four Word Love Phrases – Rubbish Edition | draliman on life