She-Wolf: Mondays Finish the Story

This is my second story written for this week’s Mondays Finish the Story. This is a flash fiction writing challenge which asks that we write a story of 100-150 words from the photo and writing prompt provided by the host, Barbara Beacham.

Here is this week’s photo . . .

2015-01-26-bw-beacham

. . . and this is my second story, including the writing prompt:

She was unaware that she was being watched.

Jake kept the she-wolf in focus through the rifle’s telescopic lens. She was a beauty, and he hated what he had to do. But she’d been taking his livestock for the past week. At first just the odd chicken, but now she was trying her luck with his calves. She was a loner, he guessed; no nightly howls of a pack. But he’d lay bets she had cubs to feed at this time of year: mid May they’d likely be needing their first meat.

Her eyes fixed on the calf staggering at the edge of the herd, just twenty yards away, the she-wolf sank on her haunches. Jake’s finger curled round the trigger.

The she-wolf leapt forward, her powerful jaws closing round the calf’s neck; sharp canines sinking deep into tender flesh.

Jake watched in admiration as she dragged the carcass into the bushes. Back to her hungry cubs.

Words: 149

mondays-finish-the-story

This entry was posted in Flash Fiction and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to She-Wolf: Mondays Finish the Story

1. Yay! El Lobo wins this time 🙂

2. TEG Diez says:

I love how you did that.

3. babso2you says:

Another good one! One comment though, you begin the story with Jake then change the name to Jack. Thanks again for writing for the MFtS challenge! ^..^

4. EarthSprout says:

Nice. Especially the ending– compassion from a hunter/owner. Hmmmm.

Well, Ahhsioux, I just couldn’t have the wolf killed. The farmer/rancher didn’t like doing it either, but I think he would have done it, in the interests of his cattle and livelihood, if he hadn’t been fascinated watching her superb kill. (Good job it’s only a story! Haha)

5. Oh Danny Boy says:

I had the same experience when I first (and last as it turned out) went deer hunting. I froze; the deer escaped.

DJ

That’s interesting. I wanted Jake to be so engrossed in watching how adeptly the wolf killed that he missed the opportunity. The way it turned out, it looked more like compassion had got the better of him. Thank you for that input, Danny.

6. Darn! I didn’t do the prompt this week! I completely forgot until I saw your post just now. I would have loved it too since I love wolfs! they are the only kind of beast I would actually consider keeping as a pet. Great job on your story 🙂

7. Wow the story was intense and exciting! Good job Millie! 🙂

8. Yay! I’m so happy she won this time! heheh! Great story Millie! I like this one better 😉

9. I of July says:

loving these short pieces 🙂

10. Another good story, Millie, and another great twist at the end. Jake just couldn’t shoot her when he knew she had hungry pups to feed. Well done. 🙂 — Suzanne

11. ChristineR says:

I read Jake’s action as compassion, too, not a missed opportunity. Another great little story. I’m liking the idea of this challenge with both image and opening sentence prompts.

It’s a good challenge and well worth trying. Christine. It has 50 more words to play about with than the Friday one as well. I’m really enjoying all these challenges – although they are taking time away from my 3rd book, so I think I’ll have to ease off a bit soon.
      Another writer I follow (Mara Fields) suggested I should have a go with this one and I’m really glad I did. My daughter does it, too, and the Friday Fictioneers.