Happier Times for Mum – FFFAW

photo-20170130154651135

Happier Times for Mum

It had to be here, somewhere…! It was in his pocket a minute ago, then he’d taken it out to look at – and must have put it back in the wrong pocket. The one with the hole in it! He had to find it. Mum deserved something pretty on her birthday.

Jamie knew she’d been lonely since Dad had left, but didn’t know how to help. Dad had a new family now and forgotten all about him and Mum.

‘This what you’re looking for, son?’

Jamie spun round to see a nice-looking man holding out the shiny brooch. ‘Thanks mister! I thought I’d lost it, good and proper!’

The man grinned. ‘It was in a puddle back there, just waiting to be found. You Julie Henderson’s lad?’

‘You know my mum?’

‘Known each other for years – same school, same office… I’m on my way to invite you both out for a birthday dinner tonight.’

‘She’d love that … and so would  I,’ Jamie said, hoping this was the start of happier times for Mum.

***

This is my story for Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers, a writing challenge hosted by Priceless Joy. It asks us to write a story from a given photo prompt in 100-150 words, give or  take 25. If you’d like to join in, follow the above link to see what to do. The challenge runs from Tuesday – Tuesday every week.

This week’s prompt was kindly provided by Jessica Haines. Thank you, Jessica!

***

To read other stories or add a story yourself, click on the little blue frog:

wpimg

This entry was posted in Flash Fiction and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Happier Times for Mum – FFFAW

Ooh, I especially love how closely you tied this into the photo prompt — it’s perfect! And what a happy ending this is hinting at. Mum has a new special gentleman friend, I hope!

Thanks, Joy. I nearly scrapped this story because I wanted to write something more exciting! But exciting wouldn’t come today, so I ‘made do’ with this one. Lol. Yes, I was visualising a new ‘gentleman friend’ coming to sweep Mum off her feet.

2. Just awesome! Full of feeling and joy in the end. (My tutor on Friday’s keeps on asking to use dialogue in the pieces that we write. Your story is a good example of how dialogue helps to bring out the feeling without telling how they feel!)

What a lovely comment, Ineke. Thank you! I do like to add some dialogue to most of my stories. I find even a single line of it can make a story come to life. And, as you say, much of the characters’ feelings -and actions, too – can be shown through dialogue.
      I hope your writing is coming on nicely, too. Are you working on another book at the moment?

• I am still writing. Not fantasy at the moment. I’ve decided to write my memoirs and publish it one day in a series of short anecdotes. In the 4 years I’ve attended the sessions at the library I’ve gathered a great collection of stories. I’m busy filling in my timeline. I am also doing it in Afrikaans so that I have the information and then I’ll translate it into Eng.A lot to keep me busy. I’ve done my birth up to end of high school.

3. Michael says:

Lovely Millie, one hopes such things do work out..

4. I love it! Of course I am a sap for happy endings! So glad that it ended so well for Jamie and his mom! She will have a new love interest in her life!

5. Singledust says:

The kindness this man gives will leave a lasting impression on this young boy – lovely way to take the prompt MT! We all need an angel walking behind us as we step into the puddles of life – who knows what we will lose along the way!

6. Shivangi says:

What a sweet positive ending. Good for mum and Jamie. I love the narrator’s voice in this story Millie😀

Aw, Jamie sounds like a lovely lad, hoping his Mum finds happiness again. I hope it all works out 🙂

8. Nona says:

Hooray for happy endings, and I’m sure Mom is going to love her gift(s).

Thanks, Nona. I think she’ll love her gifts – the one from her son and the lovely meal out with a work colleague. Hopefully something will develop there. 🙂

9. swritings says:

What a thoughtful kid! His Mom did a good job in raising him, the way he’s concerned about her happiness! Great read! 🙂

Ha ha. Yes, i thought i’d probably made him a bit too thoughtful for a young boy. But I’ve known children with old heads on their shoulders and who worry about such things. Thank you S. 🙂

10. magarisa says:

What a lovely story!

11. irinadim says:

What a lovely feel good story! Makes one happy for the happiness of others.

12. oh this was a very warm and sweet story!!

13. cherylfoston says:

Great story. You are very talented!

14. Christy B says: