It’s All About The Chemistry

It’s time to have a go at Monday’s Finish the Story. This is a flash fiction challenge which asks that we write a story in 150 words from the picture and first line prompt provided by the host, Barbara W. Beacham.

Here is this week’s photo . . .

2015-02-23-bw-beacham

. . . and this is my story, including the first line prompt:

The old typewriter had a mind of its own.

Seventy-four-year-old Mavis Wetherton uncovered her cherished old Underwood typewriter, intent on writing the next chapter of her novel – a detective story, set in 1950s London. She switched on the old Zenith radio, another of her ’50s treasures, just as the Everleys rocked their way through ‘Bye Bye Love.’

The old Underwood worked perfectly, the letters sharply defined. The machine had been over forty years old when she’d acquired it in 1959 – the day her boss has been about to throw it out. She’d simply asked if she could keep it …

The romance had blossomed from there: their 55th wedding anniversary was later this year.

‘How you get that thing to work beats me,’ Frank said from the doorway. ‘Won’t do a thing for me.’

Mavis smiled. ‘It’s all about chemistry, Frank. Me, my Underwood and the music. Together we hit the right note. Just like you and me do.’

To view other entries, click here.

mondays-finish-the-story

This entry was posted in Flash Fiction and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to It’s All About The Chemistry

1. I loved that Millie! It took the right person with the right touch and the right music. 🙂

2. babso2you says:

A perfect tale with just the right touch! 🙂 Thank you for participating again Millie! I truly enjoyed this story! I hope that you return next week… Be well…. ^..^

3. scrapydotwo says:

This is well written. I enjoyed reading it, 150 words and the whole story! I also thought of doing a dialogue between the type writer and radio!

Yes, the radio and typewriter seem to be bosom buddies. I love old things like these. When I was eight, my dad bought me an old Underwood. That was in the ’50’s, and it was really old then. I had it for years. Thank you for liking and commenting, Scrapydotwo. 🙂

4. AlexF says:

This is lighter than your recently posted stuff, I like it a lot! It is an obvious reflection of your love for writing.

Thank you, Alex! it is a lot lighter than recent stuff. I thought I’d better show I’m not a morbid grouch all of the time. I love to write and I’m a very cheerful person in reality. Honest! Haha. I’m glad you liked it, anyway. 🙂

That’s such a sweet story 🙂 Some things (and people) just belong together.

6. John Yeo says:

This is wonderful ~ A lovely couple exchanging repartee with romantic music, conducted with the clatter of the typewriter keys in the background ~ 🙂

7. I have wanted to own a type writer of my own for years. There is something magical about them.
    A wonderful story! It reflects an individual’s love of writing very well.

I think so, too. They seem to have so much more character than a computer – probably because we see so much of their ‘working parts’. I really loved my old Underwood. 🙂

8. tnkerr says:

I understand this so perfectly. I think you wrote this one for me.
    Thank you!

Yes, tinkerr, I was thinking of you. Someone has to think of us oldies now and again. I remember the fifties so well. I became a teenager at the end of it. I adored the Everley Brothers . . . and the rest. Happy memories, eh? 🙂

9. I of July says:

a good one Millie… shouldn’t 1950’s be 1950s?

10. afairymind says:

Aww – how sweet! 🙂

11. A lovely tale Millie of co-operation and understanding. Well done.

12. Fabulous! It made me crackle way into the night. Love it! You do well writing about ‘old’ things….people… ;)Thank you Millie.
    One of my writing workshop friends turned his writing into what he called RulRo, Rural Romance, set in the Australian bush. Perhaps you could do …Ro, now you should figure the word out. 🙂
    They say there is a lot of money in writing romance.

13. Sam Rappaz says:

So very sweet Millie 🙂 Enjoyed it!

14. What a lovely story millie! Love it ❤

15. Susan Langer says:

I really liked your story. It took me back to the 50’s and watching my sister type away and listening to the Everley Brothers. Those were the good old days. 🙂

It takes me back, too, Susan. I loved the Everley Brothers. I was twelve in 1959, but I still loved all the rock ‘n’ roll I heard. I had an Underwood typewriter, too, which I used with all of two fingers. They were definitely the good old days. 🙂

16. Chemistry is certainly important…There will be no more sparks when chemistry is gone. What a sweet story! ❤