A Good Makeover – Flash Fiction For Aspiring Writers

This is another new challenge for me and it certainly looks to be an interesting one. I think it’s a really brilliant idea of Priceless Joy’s to have a challenge for ‘aspiring’ writers. The challenge involves writing a piece of fiction from the photo prompt provided in around 100- 150 words. It encourages participants to comment (constructively, of course) on other entries, thereby supporting each other’s writing. If you’d like to join in with this challenge, follow the link in the title of PJ’s, blog: Beautiful Words. The challenge runs from Wednesday to Wednesday every week.

Here is this week’s photo . . .

wpid-photo-20150218105243646

Photo copyright: Dawn M. Miller

and this is my story . . .

From the opposite side of the road, Nora Wainwright massaged her aching back and surveyed the Bookstore: her destination, as always, at 10.30 a.m. on weekdays.  Her friends weren’t due for another hour and she had time to kill.

She considered the store’s new frontage; the façade it presented to the world.  At 72, Nora could do with one of those: a good makeover. Nothing too drastic, mind, no surgeon’s knife and complete image change.  She’d still look like Nora Wainwright – just as the Bookstore had kept its original, sash-style windows and ornate relief.  A new hairdo, some modern clothes and makeup would be nice.  She glanced at her well-rounded midriff.  She could lose a few pounds, too…  Her gaze drifted up to the Bookstore’s second floor, the mouth-watering confectionery in the coffee lounge.

Nora headed across the street, intent on considering makeovers whilst enjoying her first cream bun.

This entry was posted in Flash Fiction and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to A Good Makeover – Flash Fiction For Aspiring Writers

1. I enjoyed this Millie! I have to agree. The time for make-overs is tomorrow. Especially if there is a cream bun in the offering. 😀 Thank you so much for participating and I hope you will continue. 🙂

2. writenlive says:

Really quite interesting. More of a ‘slice of life’ rather than an event with an ‘ending’. That is precisely why it is a good piece 🙂

Yes, I don’t think these little flash fiction pieces always need a definite ending. Sometimes we can leave readers guessing how things would turn out. My main aim with this ‘story’ was to make the comparison between the renovated building and an elderly lady deciding that a makeover would do wonders for her appearance, too. The ending showed the little lapse in her willpower. Whether temporary or not is open to speculation. Thank you for the really nice comment. 🙂

3. Mara Fields says:

Just lovely, Millie. So simple, yet evocative of the thoughts and emotions of your protagonist. You used a few, well placed details within the story that built a picture even without the actual photo. Nicely done.

Thank you, Mara. Who knows, in a few more years, I might be standing there, thinking the same things as Nora. Perish the thought . . .! Lovely comment – it ‘right chuffed me up’. (Don’t ask me what dialect that was. I’ve no idea.) Have a great day. 🙂

Nice! How many times have I considered losing weight while tucking into a nice plate of chocolate ice cream 🙂

5. Sonya says:

The last line made me laugh. If only there was a way to get the makeover and have the buns, too. I enjoyed how Nora compared herself to the building, that was very clever.

Well, I thought about myself in a few years time when i wrote this. At the moment, though, my husband thinks I need to put on a stone – so I can manage the odd cream bun or two. Glad you liked it! 🙂

6. I of July says:

Nora has a noble mind 🙂 i like it

7. Good job Millie! 🙂 I would love to have a makeover while having a cream bun. Who doesn’t? 😉

8. I love the contrasts being married in a happy ending. I hope Nora gets her make-over after cream bun. She sounds like fun!

9. Hahahah! Can’t believe she ditched the library for a cream bun… 😉
    I would have gone directly to the library after the cream bun… heheh!
    Lovely lil’ story story Millie! 🙂