Homework – Mondays Finish the Story

I’ve decided to participate in Mondays Finish the Story. This is a challenge which involves a photograph and an opening sentence to be finished within 100 – 150 words.

So here is my first offering!

2015-01-12-bw-beacham

Finish the story begins with:  “Racing down into the atmosphere, the unidentified object crashed, leaving behind one heck of a huge crater and a plume of smoke that could be seen from miles around.”

Mrs Jenkins stopped the DVD, her stern gaze sweeping the class over the top of her spectacles.

‘Tell me what we’ve just watched.’

Fifteen-year-old Michael cringed as her eyes rested on him and he took a steadying breath. ‘Something crashed into the earth . . .’

‘And what did you think it was?’

He shrugged. ‘It came too fast.’

‘Hmm,’ Mrs Jenkins murmured, her steely eyes still on him. ‘Have a guess.’

‘A flying saucer?’

The teacher’s lips pursed. ‘What else could have come from outer space?’

Michael knew what it could have been but not what it was called. ‘A huge rock,’ he broached.

Sarah’s hand shot up. ‘A meteorite,’ she chirped cockily. ‘Or perhaps just a fragment of one. We can’t tell how big the crater is.’

‘Good. So tonight’s homework is: What are meteorites? In by tomorrow.’

Michael groaned. His mother was the worst teacher ever.

Word count: 149

This entry was posted in Flash Fiction and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Homework – Mondays Finish the Story

1. Totally Love the twist at the end 🙂

2. ahhsioux says:

Oh my heart just sunk on that ending. As one who found BEing a Mother to a few, new little souls… I really tried to give ammy besteducated, not harsh & lazy, answers to their mist currios of questions. I do know how that hurts–my Ma was an ass many times over and continues to be. I hate these lazy omand/or all about them characters. Im married to one!!:(

3. babso2you says:

I really enjoyed this story! It reminds me of Mr. Harger in my science class! Thank you for taking part in this challenge! I hope that you come back for next week’s challenge! Be well! ^..^

4. The plight of having your mother as your teacher. I know it happens, my eldest daughter had her mother working in the same school as her and it was a disaster, but I know of others for whom it works beautifully. Enjoyed your take on the image.

Yes, it can be awkward for both parent and child. I suppose I was lucky in that things worked out really well when I taught at the same school as three of my teenage children. I hope I’m not at all like Mrs. Jenkins! It was fun imagining things otherwise, though. Thank you for liking my first effort in this challenge.

5. maddmombetty says:

Delightful story! Great job!

Thank you Betty. I’ve been in the position of teaching in a school where three of my (then teenage) children attended. Fortunately, other than the odd cover lesson due to staff absence, I never actually taught them. The school always tried to do the timetable so the situation didn’e arise. Thank goodness.

• maddmombetty says:

My mom substituted at the schools where my sisters attended. And they were embarrassed to have her teach their classes because she was one of the few who actually made them work!

It’s a tricky business teaching your own children. I’m just glad my school timetabled me to avoid them, for the most part. I had the occasional lesson when we had rotating groups within year-groups in science, or when covering for other staff’s absence. But it all worked out well and I (and three of my children) survived the ordeal over the seven years I was there. Its good to see you back in ‘Blogland’ Betty. I hope the move went well and you’ve not had to resort to pulling your hair out!

• maddmombetty says:

I’m still not back. We are moved, but there have been some small problems that have added up and we are still trying to get our internet connected. Everytime I try to download anything, I get a message that tells me I’m offline. I don’t know how this is working, but it’s on my phone, and I’m not complaining! 🙂

6. John Yeo says:

Absolutely brilliant! ~ A great finish, I love the well drawn interaction between Michael and Sarah~ A great story my friend ~

Oh no, Mum’s the teacher! Nice twist. He’d better get his research done before turning in his homework assignment.

Yes, he’d better! My own children – all well grown uo now — would laugh at this. I taught in the same school as three of them when they were teenagers. Fortunately, no major battles broke out! Thanks for the great comment.

8. Ah.. I like how the minds of the kids goes from fantasy to real.. and the twist in the end is marvelous…

Thank you for the comment, Bjorn. You’re certainly right about kids’ minds – and perhaps more than a few adults, as well! A little bit of fantasy does us no harm, now and then. Haha! I’m glad you liked the twist at the end.

9. afairymind says:

Having a parent for a teacher is never fun, is it Mum? I was lucky at least that you rarely taught me, even if you were in the classroom next door!

10. Meteorites and sharp eyes. Love the geological angle 😀 NV

Funnily enough, I love geology, although I can’t say I’ve ever studied meteorites any great depth! They just seemed to fit into my story. No doubt we’ll chat again on this challenge. I really enjoyed doing this one. Thank you for the nice comment.

11. Well done on your Monday assignment! I like using my freedom to write shorter posts and longer ones but still capture depth in the length.

Thanks, Ashley. Another blogger suggested I should give this a go when I liked her story a couple of weeks ago. I found it great fun to do. It also gets my head out of the Viking world for a while! The other participants seem a great bunch, too. And keeping the story between 100 and 150 words is good practice. I do tend to ramble – as you may have notice. Haha!

12. Very nice! You put a lot in that story with just a few words. I like the ending too!

13. What a fantastic twist at the end. So much in so little words. I enjoyed it very much. This incident did not happen between one of your girls and you?..or did it? (:

14. Nice one Millie! I love the way your last line says so much! ❤

15. Looks like it’s tough for Michael to have his mom as teacher. This brought back memories as I taught my daughter in First Grade one year. That worked out well though. A couple of other little girls called me Mommy once which I thought was really cute. Well done Millie. 🙂 — Suzanne

It seems we both had pleasant experiences in this situation. Although I didn’t have any of my three children in regular, timetabled classes, I did do the odd ‘cover’ lessons for staff absences (which happens when there’s no supply teachers/subs available. Like you, so many of the children knew me, particularly as I lived right in the middle of the school’s catchment area. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely memories with me, Suzanne.

16. Good job, you are really great at those. I feel like I might over write if I did on of those :p

17. Pingback: OnWriting Flash Fiction |

18. I enjoyed it. Funny story.

Thank you! I enjoyed writing my very first ‘flash’, even though it was a worry whether people would like it or not. I soon learned that there are so many different kinds of stories written for these challenges. It’s good to see such a variety, too. 🙂