The Fiery Breath of Dragons – FFfAW

The Fiery Breath of Dragons

They came before the land had wakened, as Groshan had known they would. Three mighty dragons, their fiery breaths patterning the pre-dawn sky with a brilliance as great as the Sun-god’s rise.

From the entrance to his cave-world, deep in the mountain, the overlord seethed as the dragons swooped over his city below, their terrible flames reducing it to smouldering ash. If not for his vision, the townsfolk would have shared that fate.

Having no other choice, Groshan had led his people to a place in the mountain’s veiled depths, with its black and bottomless pool: the source of his wisdom and power. His age-old enemy would not win this time, despite his dragons.

‘Come back to the caves, Husband. This will soon end and Styras will think he’s destroyed us. We’ll leave by night and build a new city far away.’

Groshan turned to Ailis. ‘Our son will guide you all to the lands across the sea. I will follow, once Styras lies dead at my feet and my powers are no longer needed.’

This is my story for Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers, a little late this week and hastily written.

This week’s prompt was kindly provided by Footy and Foodie.

FFfAW is a writing challenge hosted by Priceless Joy. It involves writing a story from a given photo prompt in 100-150 words, give or  take 25. If you’d like to join in, follow the above link to see what to do. The challenge runs from Tuesday – Tuesday every week.

To read other stories or add a story yourself, click on the little blue frog:

wpimg

This entry was posted in Flash Fiction and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to The Fiery Breath of Dragons – FFfAW

1. maddmombetty says:

Hastily done or not, I really like this!

I really enjoyed this one, Millie! So much backstory woven in, and such great visuals too. It felt like something you’d been working on a while, by how all the parts fit together so nicely. And I was definitely rooting for Groshan by the end!

Oh thank you, Joy. I wrote this very quickly and wasn’t sure it would work. I really needed a lot more words – but as we all know, that’s usual when you’re a natural rambler trying to write flash! I’d like to know how Groshan deals with Styras, too! I’ll have to have a think. 🙂

• Joy Pixley says:

I always need a lot more words! Comes from trying to put too much of the story into too small of a space. You did a good job here, though, especially for a fellow rambler!

3. So wonderful Millie. Filled with exciting images and scenes. Love the images you chose for it too. 🙂 ❤

4. Michael says:

Excellent story telling Millie, I get the sense you enjoyed the composing of this one.

Thanks Michael. Yes, I did enjoy writing this story. I love a bit of fantasy now and then and I write so few flash fics nowadays – considering I was doing four a week at one time. I seem to spend what little time I have editing photos for my travel posts. Now that’s a job I don’t like at all. I’ve just had to pay for more media file, so I have to keep on editing the things, or I’ll be paying more before long. 😀

Nice one! A good time to strike, when your enemy thinks he’s won.

Thanks Mr D. I agree. Groshan should have the element of surprise on his side if he goes for Styras now. I just hope the dragons don’t get in his way. 🙂

6. Wonderful story Millie! Love that dragons were in it and that he is having his son lead the people to a safer place across the sea!

7. milliethom says:

Thanks, PJ. I like to do a fantasy story every now and then. It makes a nice change from historical fiction.

8. milliethom says:

Thank you, fictionspawn. I like a bit of fantasy now and then.

9. Christy B says:

A story of dragons – great! The fantasy element took me away from my day – a welcome break 🙂

I used to love fantasy books about dragons years ago and still like to write the odd story about them. I’m glad it took you away from from what sounds like a hum-drum kind of day. 😀