Lunch Dates – Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers

Flash Fiction for for Aspiring Writers is a writing challenge, kindly hosted by Priceless Joy. The challenge asks us to write a piece of fiction from the photo prompt provided in around 100- 150 words – give or take 25 words. It encourages participants to comment, constructively, on other entries, so supporting each other’s writing. If you’d like to join in with this challenge, follow the link tabove to see what to do. The challenge runs from Wednesday to Wednesday every week.

Here is this week’s prompt, kindly supplied by Vanessa Rodriguez:

wpid-photo-20150422065241749   . . . and this is my story:

Every Wednesday, on her day off, Margaret took the 6.15 am train to visit her mother at the Nursing Home on Morecambe Promenade. It was a grand old building, with excellent staff, and views right across Morecambe Bay to the Lake District mountains beyond.

The train was already five minutes late. Still, it gave her time to contemplate the day ahead. After visiting Mum, she would hurry to the restaurant for lunch with Peter, the lovely man she’d met at the Nursing Home a few weeks ago.

In fifteen years of marriage, Margaret had never been unfaithful to Jack, despite his numerous affairs and drunken rages. So far, meetings with Peter had been innocent. But last week, Peter had hinted at taking their relationship further. And why not? Jack wouldn’t care, even if he knew.

As the train hissed to a stop, Margaret smiled. A little hanky-panky would improve her life tremendously. Besides, Jack’s advancing cirrhosis meant he’d be gone before long. And, if she played her cards right, Peter would be waiting…

If you’d like to view other entries, click the blue frog below:

A little note about Morecambe (pronounced Morcum).

Morecambe was once a thriving seaside town in North-West England. Like so many British seaside resorts, Morecambe’s heyday has long since passed as many Brits fly off in search of sunnier climes for their hols. It’s sad to see so many lovely old Victorian resorts sink into decline.

Morecambe’s most famous celebrity was Eric Morecambe. (He took his stage name from the town in which he was born.) He was one half of the 1960s comedy duo, Eric and Ernie. There’s a statue of him on Morecambe Promenade, which was, sadly vandalised not long ago by idiots with nothing better to do! I believe it has now been repaired.

These photos were taken three years ago, one evening when we passed through the town. My grandson was twelve at the time, and we had a bit of fun next to Eric’s statue. He definitely got the pose better than I did!

morcambemorecambe 2

This entry was posted in Flash Fiction and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Lunch Dates – Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers

1. Loved it! I loved the twist at the end. Thanks for the history of the town. I think your grandson had that pose. ❤

Thank you for liking the story, SP. 🙂 I added the info. about Morecambe because only Brits would know where I was waffling on about otherwise. And yes, I always have fun with Kieran. He looks so different now. Three years is a lot of growth time to a teenager! ❤

• I love reading others stories. It’s very encouraging. There are so many talented people. The last few days have busy. I haven’t been able to post. Hopefully it’s calming down.

You have a busy life with your teaching commitments. You do very well to post as often as you do! Hope things have eased off with the weekend. 🙂

2. Hannah says:

Hey Millie, such an ingenious piece! 🙂 loved it.
    If you ever find time, do visit my blog and share your thoughts on it! I’d be elated!
    Hannah

3. Hannah says:

P.s. I new to the Blogging atmosphere!

I’ve only been blogging myself since the end of last July, Hannah. I’m sure you’ll settle well into it soon. I did very little on mine until Christmas beacause I was desperate to finish my second book. Since then, I’ve done a lot more posts and I’m mreally enjoying it. I could tell you were new from the email. There was only an About page to view … so I’ll do that now. 🙂

4. Francesca Smith says:

Morecambe is a lovely place, and the duo never failed to make me laugh.
    Great story and I hope she someday finds happiness.

Thank you, Francesca. I’m from Southport, a little further south, though I haven’t lived there for many years. Fortunately, Southport hasn’t suffered from so much decline. 🙂
      Yes, I think Margaret needs some joy in her life. 🙂

5. I love the picture with your grandson in it! Adorable! This was a very thought provoking story Millie. I enjoyed reading it but I’m afraid she is stepping out of the pan and into the fire. Excellent story and writing as always!

Kieran has always been a poser when the cameras were around – quite the opposite of me! But the photos were just a bit of fun. I was so angry to learn that vandals has hacked off Eric’s leg. How mindless is that!
      Thank you for liking the photos, PJ, and my story. I agree that Margaret will be taking a big gamble with a new man. But she seems keen to give it a whirl. 🙂

6. luckyjc007 says:

Great story! Margaret really knows how to plan ahead! Hopefully, she will be happy one day. Thank you for sharing the history Morecambe and the neat photos.

Thank you, Jessie. I thought I’d better write something about Morecambe. It’s not a place that anyone outside the UK is likely to have known! My aunt lives a few miles from there, and has often visited friends in the Nursing Home on the Promenade. 🙂

7. skyllairae says:

I love it when someone takes life into their own hands. Really nice story!

8. Ellespeth says:

It’s so sad that Margaret would wait for Jack to die before she moved on with her life 😦 People do that. Such lost lives and years.
    Liked the tone and flow of this piece, Millie…
    Ellespeth

Thank you for the lovely comment, Ellespeth. 🙂 I think that’s the main message of this tale. Margaret has had a lot of wasted years with a drunken lout. She’s so ready to delve into a new relationship and prepared to take the gamble on whether it will be a good one or not. 🙂

9. scrapydotwo says:

Lovely story. It sounds so real. Hope everything works out as she wants it to. You are a story teller thousand

I’m so glad you liked this one, Scrapydo. I know you like a happy ending, and this one holds a note of promise. There’s a risk in embarking upon any new relationship, I suppose. Thank you for the lovely compliment, too. ❤

10. Sonya says:

I like Margaret’s thinking. Sounds like she’s deserved a good time, too. There’s a real progression here from Margaret who visits her mother to Margaret the woman with a plan. Nicely done!

11. A lovely twist at the end is what makes me happy!!! 🙂 I really loved the photos Millie! ❤ Your grandson and you looked very adorable 😉

I’m glad you liked the story, Khloe. 🙂 Margaret’s future is set to be fun. At least that’s the plan. Thank you for the kind words about the photos, too. It was a grey evening after it had been raing (usual story in NW Britain!) so the light wasn’t too good for photos. Still, the dark outlines sort of fit well next to Eric’s statue. Kieran is a cutie. He’s a lot bigger now, at 15! He’s still got long hair, though. I can’t imagine him with it short, now. ❤

• You’re welcome as always Millie 😉 Great she will have a fun future 😉 I really the black outline also. It made the photos really pretty and Kieran is definitely a cutie 🙂 Hard to imagine how big he is now but I’m sure he is still as cute as before 🙂 I know what you mean…I guess you get used to seeing him with long hair 😉

Yes, He’s always had his hair long! Now that he’s older, it looks quite good and he keeps it clean and shiny. So, I can’t really complain. 🙂

• Wow nice! I’m sure he is growing into a handsome boy now with hid long hair 😉

12. Creatopath says:

Awesome story Millie. I hope Margaret’s secret lunch dates stay secret and she has a much happier life with Peter. Looks like you and your grandson had fun in the statue photos.

Thank you for your kind wishes for Margaret’s future, Rachel.:)
      And yes, we had a lot of fun that night in Morecambe. If you’ve ever seen the Morecambe and Wise show (Eric and Ernie) you’ll know that the statue pose is part of a silly little dance they used to do (kicking out alternate legs and hopping along with hands in the air). Well, after the photos, Kieran and I hopped/danced all the way along the Promenade, back to the car. My husband and two daughters pretended they weren’t with us. 🙂

13. Ohhhh…I smell trouble for Margaret. These things often don’t go to plan. Lovely story Millie.

14. Aquileana says:

´And, if she played her cards right, Peter would be waiting´…

The ending is excellent dear Millie…. Really eloquent… I like the way you left it open, somehow…

All my best wishes, Aquileana 😀

15. married2arod says:

Oh wow quite scandalous. I’m not sure I want to root for her or against her lol.

Well, the relationship’s definitely heading for scandalous if things move on from the lunch dates while Margaret’s husband is still alive. 🙂 As it stands, I think she’ll move in that direction – and with such a drunken lout for a husband, I don’t think I’d blame her. She seems willing to take the plunge …
      Thank for that great, thought-provoking comment, Vanessa. It’s much appreciated. 🙂

16. You’ve given us every reason to root for her but yet…

Oh, there’s always a ‘but’, Dawn. Margaret could definitely find herself in deep water. But I think she’s willing to take that risk. Thanks for the nice comment. 🙂

17. Tastyniblets says:

Haha I loved the ending! Her poor mothers just the excuse isn’t she? :p and thanks for the info about Morcombe. I’ve travelled a lot through the English countryside and it’s so sad to see so many beautiful villages suffering the same fate of demise as the population ages with no one to replace it with the young people moving away to the big cities..

Thank you for this great comment, Az. 🙂
      I agree about the decline of English villages, too. Many are now becoming places where only older, often retired, people can live. Ridiculous house prices are keeping many young people in the towns and cities, where property is cheaper. In our village, there are very few young families. At one time there was a general trend to move out to the villages, as parents saw them as nice, clean and safe places to bring up their children, compared to cities. Rising house prices and cuts in the building of affordable housing put a stop to that. Very sad. 🙂

• Tastyniblets says:

Isn’t it ironic that the country is more expensive to live in than cities when you think that it would be the other way around? It’s just speeding up the homogenisation of our society isn’t it? So sad, all those beautiful places could one day fall into decline with no one to care for them..

Let’s hope things change before it gets to that. Younger, less affluent people can’t afford to live in villages for a lot of reasons, as well as house prices. Transport costs to work, usually in towns, is another. And many families can’t afford two cars anyway. Secondary schools are miles away and even Primary ones in some cases. We haven’t got one in our village. Nor have we any shops! It seems an almost impossible situation to rectify, doesn’t it?
        Thank you for taking an interest in this Az. I’d better take my geography teacher hat off now! Haha. ❤

• Tastyniblets says:

🙂 well at least I know who to turn to for help on my story which is set in an English village!

Feel free to ask away, any time. Just call me Miss Marple! Haha.

• Tastyniblets says:

Miss Marple, Zombie Slayer haha 😛

Perhaps not, then. Is your book about Zombies? Sounds fascinating … Well, I hope they keep away from our village!

• Tastyniblets says:

No it’s not really 🙂 I’m writing a bigger story based on White Manor, the flash fiction I wrote a little while ago, and it’s set in a fictitious village called Whitfield. It will have a supernatural element but I’m still playing with ideas on what that will be..

Go for it, Az. It sounds great! All the best with writing it.

• Tastyniblets says:

Thanks Millie 🙂

18. phylor says:

Yeah Margaret; I think you deserve to have a fling of your own. And, if things with Peter work out. . .
    😉

19. phylor says:

Oops, I didn’t mean you = millethom! I wrote my comment incomprehensibly!
    😉